Caldicott Super Sevens 2016

In 2013, Caldicott started the Super Sevens rugby competition which year on year produces very exciting and fast paced rugby! The aim of the Super Sevens is to offer a competitive and fun tournament for those boarders in Game 3, with boys and staff then able to watch the finals played on the last day of the tournament. They all still play in regular school matches during the term, but the Super Sevens has given these boys the opportunity to play sevens, enjoy playing in a really competitive tournament and show their metal in the grand finals to all supporting staff and boys! The Super Sevens takes place during games sessions at the back end of the autumn term, with the 2 finals being played on Top Field, supported by many and fireworks both on and off the pitch! The 4 teams (Brumbies, Reds, Crusaders and Sharks) battle it out to see who will be crowned Super Sevens Champion and lift the glorious trophy!


2016 Super Sevens Review





Points Difference



























The final standings from the group games put the Brumbies and Reds forward to play in the Championship Grand Final, whilst the Crusaders and Sharks would compete for the Cup Final.

Below is the yearly Super Sevens review from tournament organiser Mr Foster.

The highly anticipated annual Super Sevens ‘Series’ certainly lived up to its billing this year and ended in spectacular fashion on Tuesday 06th December in the mist and fading light. The tournament was as competitive as ever with the four teams made up of 5th and 6th formers split evenly into 4 equal 7 a –side teams.

In the first round of matches the defending champions the Crusaders produced a dominant display against the Sharks with George Fearnely-Whittingstall and Faris Lovejoy scoring several tries each. The other first round match was between the Brumbies and 2015 Cup winners the Sharks, in which the Brumbies laid down a serious marker as the pre-tournament favourites with Spanish powerhouse Luis Baon scoring 5 of their 9 tries.

The second round of matches saw the 2 first round winners go head to head in what was always going to be a hugely physical and close encounter. The physicality and speed of Baon and Gupte was too much for a talented Crusaders team to deal with, the Brumbies eventually clinching a hard-fought game, Elliot Newington the hero as he crashed over to seal the victory with moments to spare. The other match in this round of fixtures saw the Reds emerge as potential title challengers with a demolition of the Sharks. George Hanlon crashed over from close range on several occasions and Captain Hilario Rodriguez combined well with talisman Finn Gallagher throughout the game. Oscar Wan was terrific for the Sharks both in attack and defence and Shaan Gill ‘the enforcer’ put in some huge hits. Despite the Sharks best efforts the Reds had too much pace and skill for them to cope with.

This all meant that the last round of matches was going to be decisive, the Brumbies already through played a Sharks team that were toiling with injuries and lacking in confidence whilst the other match was effectively a semi-final with the winner going through to the Championship Final. The table did not lie and this game could not have been any closer. After 20 minutes of end to end, gruelling rugby the teams were tied and we had to go to extra-time and a golden try scenario. Archie Chilvers had been superb for the Crusaders and almost won it but was bundled into touch by Madiwa Adjepong-Boateng metres short of the line. It was to be George Hanlon who was to be the hero as he took a crash ball from Eisah Saba he burst through the middle and dived over the line to seal victory, delight for the Reds and heartbreak for the Crusaders. The other match in the final group stage saw a rampant Brumbies team easily beat the Sharks. This meant that the Crusaders would meet the Sharks in the Cup Final and the unbeaten Brumbies would take on the Reds for title glory.

The boys met for finals day on a miserable misty afternoon but lit up Top Field with 2 scintillating matches. The Cup Final saw the Crusaders play brilliantly with George FW arguably the star of the tournament run riot and Will Ferry score 2 tries on the hallowed turf for the first time. George FW was devastating with his boot and showed us all why he would be the ‘Golden Boot’ winner for 2016. Anthony Clarke and Harry Sibson did all they could to blunt the Crusaders but it was enough and the Crusaders were the Cup winners. As this game finished the crowd assembled excited for what would be a final that no one could have anticipated in their wildest dreams. The 2 pumped up teams emerged from the pavilion steeped in Rugby history under clouds of coloured smoke through the mist and into the guard of honour and stood proud on the half way line for a rendition of the national anthem. When Director Rugby Matt Hutchings blew the whistle to start the game no one could anticipate what the next 25 minutes would deliver. From the first tackle the game was played at a frenetic pace and the level of physicality and commitment was at a level not seen before at this level. Both teams threw the ball around and the skills on show were superb. The teams exchanged tries with Gupte who put in a massive performance and Hanlon proving just too powerful for opposition defences. As the second-half drew to a close the crowd were excited and everyone knew this was going to be a nail-bitter and settled by one moment of brilliance. That moment came with 2 minutes to go when Gupte scored a brilliant solo try in the corner. This sparked a pitch invasion of monumental proportions. The clock was stopped and there was time for the Reds to kick off and potentially have one more go. The Brumbies thought they had sealed victory when Baon, the Top-Scorer in the competition threw the ball out of play. Unfortunately because he threw it rather than kicking it, it was a penalty to the Reds and they had a lifeline. With no time left on the clock George Hanlon found the energy for one last barraging run and crashed over leaving the scores tied. Finn Gallagher stood up to win it with the conversion but hit the post and the scores were tied at the end of a gruelling contest. In the fading light the tournament organisers decided that one minute of ‘golden point’ Rugby would be played. The boys had given everything and even the ‘Moscow Express’ Gleb Koval had nothing more to give. Henry Ridley nearly stormed the length of the field but some valiant defence stopped him and the final whistle went. The title decider had ended in a draw and for the 1st time ever the Championship was shared between the Brumbies and the Reds.

The boys gave their all throughout the tournament and should be immensely proud of their skill, commitment and efforts. The whole tournament and the final encapsulated the Caldicott spirit beautifully and demonstrated all that is great about Caldicott Rugby both on the field – sportsmanship, passion, unrivalled commitment and teamwork.


Caldicott Super Sevens Hall of Fame

Cup Winners – 2013 Crusaders, 2014, Crusaders, 2015 Sharks, 2016 Crusaders

Championship Winners – 2013 Brumbies, 2014 Sharks, 2015 Crusaders, 2016 Shared (Brumbies and Reds)

Top Try Scorers: 2013 Usmani (16), 2014 Alderton (12), 2015 Zurita Poblete (14), 2016 Baon (13)

Top Kicker: 2013 Stone (22), 2014 Drax/Alderton (18), 2015 Zurita Poblete (29), 2016 Fearnley-Whittingstall (20)


The Crusaders


The Brumbies


Action fom the 'Cup Final'


The Crusaders on the front foot in the scrum


The Reds showing great enjoyment whilst singing the National Anthem


A patriotic rendition of the National Anthem from the Sharks


The crowd await the start of the match with great expectation and excitement


A hard fought contest in the rucks


The Sharks celebrating their victory


Finley Alderton and Giacomo Drax shared the Golden Boot for the top kicker of the tournament


Finley Alderton with his trophy for the leading try scorer of the tournament