6th Form boarders are allowed the following electronic devices in the summer term provided they adhere to the following criteria:
- No device capable of connecting to a telephone or 3G/4G network (even if no SIM card is present) – only WiFi
- Screen should be no bigger than 10.1 inches
- Not a laptop (excluding pupils who already have these at school for Learning Support)
- Operating system should be:
- iOS 5 or greater (Apple Devices)
- Android v3.0 or greater
- Windows 8.1/10
- Apple iPad (any generation, including Mini) – WiFi only versions
- Apple iPod
- Google Nexus
- Kindle (all non-3G/4G versions) – although older versions may not be able to connect to our WiFi
- Kindle Fire (+HD)
- Samsung Galaxy
If there is a device that fits the criteria and you believe it should be on the list, please e-mail Stuart Brown ([email protected]) to check before purchasing or bringing it into school. If a non-permitted device is brought into school it will be confiscated and kept in the School Office for collection by the parent/guardian.
Boarders may only bring in devices from the following list. We do not allow devices that have cameras.
- Kindle or Kindle Paperwhite (non-3G versions). Kindle Fire is not permitted.
- iPod Nanos. iPod Touch is not permitted.
- iPod Shuffles
- Older iPods/MP3 players that do not have internet access
- No tablets
Use of the devices
The use of these devices and the content that is allowed on them is outlined in the new "Terms and conditions of use of technology at Caldicott" (previously called the "Computer Use Agreement"). This is available to download from the Documents and Forms page.
The decision to only permit 'tablet'-sized devices (and smaller) was made when looking at the practicalities of storage, charging and the movement of devices around school and in the boarding house. At the moment potentially having lots of bulky laptops being brought in is not practical - we simply do not have the space to store and charge them.
Tablet devices (we're not stipulating an Apple product) will allow the boys to do email, browse the web, play games, listen to music etc. in their free time without the need of a full computer/laptop and can easily be stored securely in a cupboard at night. If boys want to sit down to do a bit of work, we have a very good IT suite which they can use.